The 2014-2018 International Program focuses on Launching New Dimensions of ServiceSM. Though this program, members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will continue to work with the community at large in the following five target areas.
Target I: Educational Enrichment
– Alva Edwards and Antoinette Harris Robinson, Co-Chairmen
Members will work with youth in the Sorority’s signature program ASCENDSM – Achievement, Self-Awareness, Communication, Engagement, Networking, and Developmental Skills.
Alva Edwards and Antoinette Harris Robinson, Co-Chairmen
Alpha Kappa Alpha will promote student learning with its One Million BackpacksSM initiative, where members will donate a total of one million backpacks over a four-year period.
Nicole Kincaid and Leslie Morris, Co-Chairmen
Finally, members will support Historically Black Colleges through the Think HBCUSM initiative.
Leslie Anderson and Sherilynn Johnson Kimble, Co-Chairmen
Target II: Health Promotion
– Gwendolyn Brown and Valarie Everett, Co-Chairmen
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will promote health awareness in three areas:
- Alzheimer Disease and Caregiver Awareness : Karen Askew-Teel and Shaneka Peck Hall, Co-Chairmen
- Stroke and Heart Disease Prevention : Carlotta Johnson-Pugh and Sirena Ollison, Co-Chairmen
- Mental Health and Wellness : Inger Taylor and Sheena High, Co-Chairmen
Target III: Family Strengthening
– Melanie Marcus and Tamika Nealy-Farmbry, Co-Chairmen
Focusing on such issues as food, shelter and financial means, this initiative will concentrate on these three areas:
- Childhood Hunger Initiatives : Melanie Marcus and Davitra Smith, Co-Chairmen
- Family Seasonal WrapsSM : Cressa Morris and Harriet Reynolds Rigsby, Co-Chairmen
- Fiscal Responsibility Programs : Regina Jordan, and Tamika Nealy-Farmbry Co-Chairmen
Target IV: Environmental Ownership
– Stephanie Marsh, Chairman
The initiatives here will be focused on the
- AKA 1908 Playground ProjectSM to assure that children have a safe place to play. The Restore, Refresh, Renew Project’s goal is to restoring and renewing 1,908 existing playgrounds. Ruth Glover Butler and Carol Rice, Co-Chairmen
- The Acts of Green Project, members will promote environmental sustainability by encouraging recycling, litter prevention and waste management in local communities. Stephanie Marsh, Chairman
Target V: Global Impact
– Karla Brown and Rose Brown, Co-Chairmen
Alpha Kappa Alpha has partnered with the United Nations Association (USN-USA) to present the USN-USA Global Classroom Project, which will bring awareness of the USN-USA and other global issues. Dana King and Ashley Session, Co-Chairmen
Further, we have renewed our partnership with Africare, and will implement projects focusing on youth hunger on the continent of Africa. Karla Brown and Rose Brown, Co-Chairmen
The sorority members will also participate in several community impact days:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service Ja’Net Roberson and Vernoca Michael, Co-Chairmen
- Pink Goes Red for Heart Health Day
- AKA 1908 Playgrounds Mobilization Day
- The Longest Day ™ Alzheimer’s Support Activities
- AKA/NAMI Health Awareness Day
- Childhood Hunger Awareness Day
In addition the Chapter will continue the following services to our community:
- It’s All About the Children Muncy Prison Project Alva Edwards, Chairman.
- Messages from Mom and Dad Willie Black and Lorina Marshall-Blake, Co-Chairmen
- Black College Tour Leslie Anderson and Sherilynn Johnson Kimble, Co-Chairmen